Moving from a house to an apartment has a few unforeseen advantages.
1. Downsizing to an apartment required me to bring only the essentials. Not that much really. I realized how much extra stuff we’ve accumulated over the years. For example, those boxes collecting dust in my attic for the past 10 years are mostly just taking up space. If I haven’t had a need to rummage through them in a decade, chances are I could do without them permanently. Am I ever going to reread some paper I wrote in college? Not likely.
2. A smaller place really is a lot easier to keep clean.
3. I know where my children are and what they are doing at all times, not that I needed or wanted to do this, but they can no longer hide away up in their rooms for big chunks of time. Our family together time has vastly increased – for better or worse 🙂
4. Smaller grocery bills – with a lot less storage, I have to consider where I’m going to put everything.
5. We’re getting to know another neighborhood in our community that we would otherwise not have known much about. Every neighborhood has it’s own vibe and subculture.
6. My boys are getting exposed to an alternative housing option and are learning that there can be some fluidity in where you live and that’s ok. It’s not where you are, but who you’re with.